August 21-23, 2023
Nurturing All Learners Through Responsive and Inclusive Literacy Practices – 3 days
Dr. Donna Kozak
Dr. Leyton Schnellert
Every child arrives at school with a multitude of literacies. Come join us as we explore systems, structures and strategies that build from children’s funds of knowledge to develop essential school literacy skills for our diverse learners.
Over the three days we will revisit and deepen our understandings of reading, writing workshop, literacy centres and stations, culturally responsive teaching, and critical literacy. Special attention will be paid to developing inclusive literacy communities where every child is an author and inquirer (Tier 1), and opportunities for supports that scaffold emerging literacies (Tier 2 and 3).
August 21, 2023
Personal and Social Awareness
|Culture, context, community, and coming to know our students as literate beings.
- Why should we examine our beliefs around the image of the child and role of the teacher when designing responsive and inclusive literacy programs in our classrooms?
- How do we create inclusive learning communities within our classrooms that are welcoming, nurturing, and responsive to all learners?
- Who are our students and how do we get to know them as literacy learners?
- How can attention to environmental space design foster healthy social space that supports self-regulated learners?
- How are literacies defined and why should we have common understandings of the terms that guide our teaching practice in language and literacy?
August 22, 2023
Reading, Viewing, and Listening
|Early foundational language and literacy skills (code and meaning), responsive reading pedagogy, fostering learning agency
- What are the foundational language and literacy skills that must be attended to with purpose in the early years?
- Why is assessment foundational to responsive pedagogy?
- How does assessment inform responsive instruction in early foundational language and literacy skills?
- How to create access points for all readers?
- Why attending to theory helps frame practice with intentionality and purpose?
- What instructional structures and approaches lead to effective and equitable literacy learning for all learners?
- How to create conditions for reading development that inspire and instill positive literate identities and agency for all learners?
August 23, 2023
Speaking, Writing, and Representing
|Working with the code, finding meaning and purpose in communicating by nurturing wonder and curiosity through inquiry, creating communities of communicators, thinking classrooms include culturally responsive and critical literacy as foundations
- How to foster a positive community of communicators from the early years on?
- How does assessment inform responsive instruction in early writing development?
- How to create access points for all writers?
- What modes of representation are available for learners that best reflect their strengths?
- How can celebrating multiple modes of representation lead to learner engagement and agency?
- How can inviting family and community resources as pedagogical allies within the classroom enrich learning opportunities?
- How creative and critical thinking are inspired through attending to context, culture, and community?