August 20-22, 2018
Self-Regulated Learning as a Framework for Creating Inclusive Contexts for Diverse Learners – 3 days
Dr. Nancy Perry
Dr. Deborah Butler
Dr. Leyton Shnellert
Throughout each day, participants will grapple with big ideas, engage in interactive activities, reflect on cases and inspirational examples, work collaboratively with others, and think through “next steps” in their contexts. Participants will come away with frameworks for thinking about learning, teaching, inclusion, and diversity, as well as with concrete strategies that they can take up starting right away in September.
|Days 1-3||Topics Covered|
August 20, 2018How Does a Focus on SRL Help us in Understand Learning and How to Support it?
|• Why focus on SRL? What does it have to do with achieving important goals for diverse learners in today’s communities and schools?
• What is “self-regulated learning” (SRL), and what does that look like in your context?
• Where and why does SRL break down? What are implications for where we can support learners to be more successful?
• How are SRL and social emotional learning related? How can we focus on both in tandem?
• What does all this mean for inspiring and engaging diverse learners in today’s classrooms and communities?
|• How can we create environments in which all learners feel like they belong and know how to participate effectively?
• How can we design activities in ways that create pathways for all learners to be meaningfully included and stretch themselves?
• What kinds of supports can we weave into environments to foster strategic, self-regulated learning?
• How can assessments and feedback be used to empower learning?
• Pulling it all together: What kinds of practices empower learners to be and feel successful?
|• How can a focus on SRL help in creating inclusive environments in which all students belong and are empowered to succeed?
• How can we work together to create pathways for success for learners with different strengths and challenges?
• What about linguistic and cultural diversity? How can a focus on SRL help in including learners who bring diverse cultural backgrounds and experiences into classrooms and communities?
• Culminating Planning: What’s next for you? What might you do based on our co-learning? What more do you want to learn?